Wednesday, August 3, 2016

How To Be You by Jeffrey Marsh


How To Be You: Stop Trying to Be Someone Else and Start Living Your Life by Jeffrey Marsh

Review by Lauren

source: copy for review; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryThis book is about how to finally give up on feeling bad about ourselves and discover the best person we can be.

An interactive experience, How to Be You invites you to make the book your own through activities such as coloring in charts, answering questions about how you do the things you do, and discovering patterns in your lives that may be holding you back. Through Jeffrey's own story of "growing up fabulous in a small farming town"--along with the stories of hero/ines who have transcended the stereotypes of race, age, and gender--you will discover that you are not alone, can deepen your relationship with yourself, and find the courage to take a leap that will change your life.
 


ReviewI've heard of Jeffrey Marsh, but I didn't know a lot about them when I was asked if I wanted to read/review this book. I immediately said yes though because I have a love for nonfiction books that are about getting to know yourself and finding the best you. I think we all need to spend more time with ourselves, finding the things we love, and learning to love who we are and who we can be. 

This nonfiction book focuses on a different topic for each chapter, ending said chapter with a fun do-it-yourself activity or assignment that helps you with the messages you just read about. For example, one chapter is about not trying to be perfect, because it doesn't exist. There is a space in the book where you write three ways you feel or treat yourself when you aren't perfect and felt you should be. At the end of the chapter, there are some questions about perfection that you are asked to answer. You can write in the actual book if you want, or grab a piece of paper and answer the questions! I like the interactive nature - I think that's good for anyone, but especially younger readers who might need these lessons a bit more than an adult who has had more time to adjust to life. Of course, there are plenty of adults who do think they should be perfect, etc. and this is great for them too! Grab a copy for yourself AND your kid. 

Marsh does a great job making sure that people realize this book is about them. They give personal stories about their life, which I appreciated, that showed what they'd been through and how they use these same "ideas and "lessons" in the book to make themselves better. But they aren't telling people to be them, they are telling everyone to be their true selves and that's a message we should all get behind!

8 comments:

Verushka said...

I've been listening to a CD by Louise Hay who I think is saying the same things this book is saying about finding out who you are and putting the crap you pile on yourself in perspective. I found it's easy to get used to thinking a certain (bad) way and not realising it even. Great review, will have to check this out.

Lisa Mandina said...

Sounds like the type of book I probably could get something out of. Great review!

LoveOfBooks said...

This sounds fantastic! Especially the use of "homework" at the end of the chapters. This type of thing is often beneficial in cognitive behavioral therapy.

Trish @ Between My Lines said...

I love the powerful message behind this book. And I enjoy exercises like this too as I find when you stop and think, you always find out more about yourself. Sounds very useful and like you said great in particular for a younger person.

Lola said...

I've been trying to read more non-fiction books lately, but I haven't read a book like this yet. I do like the sound of how interactive it is. And the message behind this one sound like a good one!

Unknown said...

Introspection is such a challenging yet enlightening journey. I went through a phase, my learning curve is kinda long, lol, but I'm glad I went through it this early versus some mid-life crisis.

Karen said...

This book sounds really good. I love when a non-fiction books really makes you change your views on life. Great review!

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity said...

I like the fact that there are interactive sections for the reader! So often non-fiction books focus on the author (which is okay, of course), but it is awesome that you can write down little tid-bits and glean more than just information from the book, but also personal applications. Especially in regards to being perfect. I think quite a lot of people struggle with their own expectations of themselves. I would never be able to write in the book, though, haha!

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much, Lauren!