Monday, April 3, 2017

Insight by Santino Hassell


Insight by Santino Hassell

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryGrowing up the outcast in an infamous family of psychics, Nate Black never learned how to control his empath abilities. Then after five years without contact, his estranged twin turns up dead in New York City. The claim of suicide doesn’t ring true, especially when a mysterious vision tells Nate it was murder. Now his long-hated gift is his only tool to investigate. 

Hitching from his tiny Texas town, Nate is picked up by Trent, a gorgeous engineer who thrives on sarcasm and skepticism. The heat that sparks between them is instant and intense, and Nate ends up trusting Trent with his secrets—something he’s never done before. But once they arrive in the city, the secrets multiply when Nate discovers an underground supernatural community, more missing psychics, and frightening information about his own talent.

Nate is left questioning his connection with Trent. Are their feelings real, or are they being propelled by abilities Nate didn’t realize he had? His fear of his power grows, but Nate must overcome it to find his brother’s killer and trust himself with Trent’s heart.


Review: I've read a book by Santino Hassell and Megan Erickson, but this is the first book I've read by Santino on his own. Granted, he has a lot of other books - and I need to read them pronto because I really loved Insight. I'm so glad it's only the first in a series. At any rate, Insight is a great book - while there is an M/M romance, that's not the only focus. It's also about psychics and there is mystery and suspense! I loved it all and I was so fascinated by this Community. I definitely didn't trust them, but I wasn't sure how they were involved in the murder of Nate's twin brother.

While there is a second book, Insight works pretty well as a standalone. There are things you'll want to learn and it makes you excited for the sequel, but all in all, it wraps up a lot so you aren't left with a huge cliffhanger. As for the romance, I loved that too! Nate never really felt worthy of someone's attention and it was difficult to get close to someone as an empath, where he could feel everyone's emotions. Things are different with Trent though and they make it work, despite the crazy that unfolds around them. I definitely rooted for these two!

7 comments:

Kit @ Metaphors and Moonlight said...

Oh this does sound good, and I might have to check it out since I like empaths! Glad you enjoyed it so much, sounds like it has good characters :-)

Lisa Mandina said...

Okay, Trent sounds like he would be such a fun character to read. I love a good sarcastic personality. The cover on that one is really great too! Great review!

Chiara @ Books for a Delicate Eternity said...

I have heard a lot of good things about this author, and I am pretty sure I have Insight on my TBR! As much as I love a straight up romance book, I also love genre fiction, and it looks like this book fits the bill perfectly :D I also really like books that don't end on a cliffhanger just to get you to buy the second book. The whole book should be enough to want to make you read another one, not just a shock ending. So yay for intriguing elements in this one rather than a cliffhanger!

Nasreen said...

The story premise sounds interesting and you made it more so by your review. Thank you!

Verushka said...

Oh hello! I am in need of a good book with a good psychic! It's been ages since I ventured into this territory!

Liz. R said...

I'm really intrigued by the psychic aspect of this book, I haven't read anything supernatural in a while, and I like that there's a bit of mystery as well!

Greg said...

I like the idea of empaths and psychics so this sounds pretty good, especially with an underground community of them. Neat idea.